A21 is a non-profit abolitionist group that fights to free slaves and disrupt the demand for slavery around the world, We call this pattern our “A21 Bag” and this is a very special pattern to us. I dare say our most important one. The idea for this bag is to have something that not only highlights our commitment to donate a portion of all of our sales to A21, but also creates another way to give even more. The profits from this pattern go directly to A21.
Balsam pattern is 3 bags in one pattern. It’s a cross-over bag style with adjustable strap and an optional angled pocket on the front that can be customized to fit a cell phone. The angled bag works well with structured fabrics that hold the shape of the bag. The fold-over bag can be made with a straight fold, an angled fold or choose both by using the extra D-ring location and switch it up depending on your mood. If you prefer one fold option over the other, use a small piece of twill tape instead of the extra D-ring and create a spot to hang a fun keychain or other accessory. Customize this bag to your heart’s content.
- Advanced Beginner level
- Large and Small size
- Color photo tutorial with hyperlinks
- Printable on 8 1/2x11 and A4 paper
- Layers available for printing specific sizes
Recommended Fabrics: Main fabric- Canvas, light faux leathers with drape-like qualities, interfaced quilting cottons, interfaced medium-weight knits.
Angled Bag Only- This version can also be made with mid-weight leathers or other fabric types for a more structured look. (These fabrics are recommended for experienced sewists.)
NOTE: When choosing thicker fabrics it’s important to consider the capabilities of your particular sewing machine. Some adjustments to the pattern construction may be necessary based on your fabric choice. This is especially true for the construction of the tabs and strap ends.
Lining- Light to medium weight woven fabrics such as quilting cottons, satins, and other lining fabrics.
- (2) 1” D-rings
- (2) 1” Swivel clasps
- (1) 1” Slider
- (1) 3/4” Magnetic snap
- 5” x 5” square of fusible interfacing
- Optional: 4-10 8mm x 6mm rivets (To decorate bag as desired.)
- 1 yd fusible interfacing (For stabilizing lightweight or knit fabric when used as main outer fabric.)
- Disappearing marker or other marking pen.
- Optional: Jean-a-ma-jig or Hump Jumper
Fold Over Version only:
- (1) 1/2” D-ring for alternate strap location --OR--
- Optional: 1/2” Twill tape (3” length) and 1/2” O-ring for decorative accessories.
**This is a digital copy of the pattern only.
Read more about this pattern in the blog. https://mamidesofiona.com/2019/11/01/the-bag-with-a-mission/